Monday, November 30, 2009

Division by Zero Reflection

As I am not much of a poet, this exercise was quite difficult for me. It seemed unnecessary to teach mathematics. In particular, I even had the feeling that the audience that I can reach through this approach could be an audience I never wanted to reach in the first place. Of course, this type of thinking (that there are 'undesirable' students) is very detrimental for an educator, I still see little value in using poetry in mathematics. This is in part due to my own belief that poetry and mathematics cannot comfortably co-exist. To quote Paul Dirac: "The aim of science is to make difficult things understandable in a simpler way; the aim of poetry is to state simple things in an incomprehensible way. The two are incompatible." Of course this is an extreme view, but I suppose my philistine understanding of the art of poetry makes it difficult for me to appreciate its beauty and worth, much less advocate mathematics through this medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment